Last week during a COVID-19 press conference, Governor Roy Cooper issued Executive Order 224: Implementing Measures to Address Covid-19 and Related Variants. This executive order came about due to the increase in COVID-19 cases and the emergence of the Delta variant. During his press conference, Gov. Cooper directed state government cabinet agencies to verify if their employees are vaccinated. State employees are now required to provide their employer with their vaccination status. Under the executive order, unvaccinated employees will be tested at least once a week and required to wear a mask. Gov. Cooper also urged private businesses to do the same. Executive Order 224 became effective July 29 at 5p.m. and will remain effective through August 31 at 5 p.m.
As COVID-19 cases continue to surge in NC, masks are now required indoors at all Wake County facilities for employees and the public, regardless of vaccination status. The mask requirement went into effect on Monday at all Wake County facilities. As previously stated, Wake County continues to be a leader among areas within the state that have successfully worked with the community to ensure everyone has access to a vaccine of their choosing. County Commission Chair, Matt Calabria recently announced that 70 percent of the eligible population has received at least one dose, leading the state. The effort to reach the remaining 30 percent is underway. Wake County Public Health announced it’s expanding the COVID-19 vaccine outreach strategy to include bringing vaccinations directly to homes. This allows Public Health staff, community workers, and vaccinators the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with residents, provide education, and answer any questions they have prior to making the decision to get vaccinated.
To learn more about our GA priorities, track legislative bills, or to read our blog posts, you can visit our webpage or follow us on Twitter @RcgaJ, @tierra_rcga, or @raleighchamber.